Shutters: A Comprehensive Guide
As you look for ways to enhance your home’s appearance and functionality, shutters may come to mind. Shutters are a timeless and elegant window treatment that can add value to your home, increase curb appeal, provide privacy and light control, and offer insulation. In this article, we will explore the history and benefits of shutters, what to consider when buying them, the different design options available, the types of indoor shutters, how to choose the best shutters, caring for and maintaining your plantation shutters, and why New View Blinds and Shutters is the best choice for your shutter needs.
What are Plantation Shutters?
Shutters are doors you add to your windows. Plantation shutters are a type of window treatment that consists of a frame and adjustable louvers. They are usually made of wood, vinyl, poly, or composite materials and can be installed inside or outside the window opening. They can either be hinged or hung from a track.
History of Plantation Shutters
Plantation shutters were first used in the American South in the 18th century. The shutters were typically wood and had broad, adjustable louvers that could be tilted to allow for more or less light and air. They were designed to protect against the hot and humid weather while allowing for ventilation and light control. Over time, they became a status symbol and were often used in wealthy homes. Today, plantation shutters are famous worldwide and appreciated for their beauty, functionality, and durability.
Why Choose Window Shutters?
If you’re considering window treatments for your home, there are many reasons to choose window shutters. Here are some of the benefits:
- Increased Home Value– Window shutters can increase your home’s value, making them a wise investment for homeowners looking to sell their homes. They are considered a permanent home improvement of your home, so they add value that other window treatments don’t.
- Enhanced Curb Appeal– Window shutters can enhance your home’s curb appeal. Shutters look as good from outside your home as they do from inside. They provide a timeless and classic look that can boost your home’s appearance, making it more attractive to potential buyers.
- Privacy– Window Shutters offer excellent privacy control. You can easily adjust the slats to let in natural light while maintaining privacy.
- Light Control– Window Shutters allow you to control the amount of light that enters your home. You can adjust the louvers to let in as much or as little light as you want, making them a versatile option for any room.
- Insulation– Window shutters can also help insulate your home. They provide an additional layer of insulation, which can help keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Aesthetics– Window shutters offer a clean, classic, and elegant look that complements any decor. They come in various styles and finishes, making it easy to find the perfect shutters for your home.
- Durability– Window shutters are durable and long-lasting. They are designed to withstand daily wear and tear, making them an excellent long-term investment for your home.
What to Consider When Buying Plantation Shutters?
If you’re considering buying shutters for your home, there are a few things you should consider before making your purchase.
- Aesthetics – If you’re not a fan of the classic look of shutters, they may not be the right choice for your home. Consider your view. With shutters, your view will usually be through the louvers.
- Cost – Can you afford plantation shutters? Shutters can be more expensive than some other window treatments.
- Time Frame – Can you wait for imported plantation shutters, or need them sooner? If you need them quickly, consider choosing a local company that can provide fast turnaround times.
- Installation – Will you install the shutters yourself or hire a professional? While DIY installation may save money, professional installation can ensure proper fit and function for your shutters.
When choosing the right shutters for your home, taking the time to consider these factors can help ensure you make a purchase that you’ll be happy with for years to come.
Design Options for Interior Shutters
Many design options exist when choosing the right interior shutters for your home. Here are some of the most important factors to think about:
- Material – Interior shutters can be made from various materials, including wood (such as basswood or alder), composite, vinyl, or poly. Each material has its benefits and drawbacks, so choosing the one that best fits your needs is essential.
- Frame – There are two main shutter frames: inside mount and outside mount. An inside mount frame fits inside the window opening, while an outside mount frame is attached to the wall outside. Consider which type of frame will work best for your windows.
- Tier-on-Tier Shutters – Tier-on-tier shutters feature two independently operable sections (upper and lower), allowing greater flexibility and light control. Consider whether you want split tilt, divider rail, or double-hung options for your tier-on-tier shutters.
- Tilt Control – Interior shutters can have either a front or a hidden tilt. Generally, the front tilt is for a traditional home, and the hidden tilt is for a modern home. Front tilt shutters have a visible rod that adjusts the louvers’ position, while hidden tilt shutters have a hidden mechanism.
- Louver Size – The size of the shutters’ louvers can significantly impact their overall appearance. Large louvers will let in more light and have a more modern look.
- Color – Interior shutters can come in various colors, from traditional whites and neutrals to bold and bright hues. Usually, most shutters match your existing trim color. Consider what color will work best with your decor and personal style.
- Panel Configuration – Consider whether you want to be left, right, or bifold hinge options for your shutters and whether you prefer narrow or wide panels.
Types of Indoor Shutters
There are many different indoor shutters, each with unique benefits and drawbacks. Here are some of the most common types:
- Plantation Shutters – Plantation shutters are one of the most popular indoor shutters. They feature wide louvers for plenty of light control and a classic and timeless look.
- Traditional or Colonial Shutters – Traditional or colonial shutters feature smaller louvers and panels. They have a more classic, formal appearance.
- Specialty-Shaped Shutters – Specialty-shaped shutters are custom-made to fit windows with unique shapes or sizes, such as arched or angled windows.
- Sliding Shutters – Sliding shutters, also known as bypass or bifold shutters, are designed to slide along a track rather than opening and closing like traditional shutters. They are a good option for oversized windows or sliding glass doors.
- Cafe Shutters – Cafe shutters only cover the bottom half of a window, allowing for privacy while still allowing plenty of light to enter the room.
- French Door Shutters – French door shutters are designed to fit over the glass panels of French doors, providing light control and privacy. They come with a French door cut-out to not interfere with the door handle or locks.
Choosing the Right Material for Your Shutters
Selecting a suitable material is one of the most important decisions when buying shutters. There are a few different options to choose from, each with its advantages and disadvantages. Here are the most common materials:
- Composite Shutters– Composite shutters are made from wood fibers and synthetic materials. These shutters are often less expensive than wood shutters and can be a good choice for areas with the high sun since they are less prone to fading. They’re also available in a wide range of colors and textures, making it easy to find a style that complements your decor.
- Vinyl Shutters– Vinyl shutters are popular because they are durable and moisture-resistant. They’re also affordable and require very little maintenance. However, some think they don’t have the same aesthetic appeal as other shutters. They are available in a few shades of white.
- PolyCore Shutters– PolyCore shutters are synthetic shutters made from a solid PVC material with an aluminum core. They’re more robust and durable than traditional composite shutters and are a good choice for areas with high humidity or where durability is a concern. They’re also available in several shades of white.
- Basswood Shutters– Basswood shutters have been the most traditional type used for centuries. They’re prized for their natural beauty and warmth and can be custom painted or stained to match your decor. They require more maintenance than other shutters and can be susceptible to warping or cracking in areas with high humidity.
- Knotty Alder Shutters– Knotty Alder is a type of wood known for its unique knots and grain patterns. It’s a popular shutter choice because of its rustic, natural look. Knotty Alder shutters are available in various stains and finishes and can be customized to fit any window.
When selecting a shutter material, it’s essential to consider the style of your home, your budget, and the location where the shutters will be installed. If unsure which material suits you, consult a New View Blinds and Shutters professional for guidance.
How to choose the best Shutters?
If you’re in the market for new shutters, you must consider a few key factors to ensure you choose the best option for your home. Here’s how to make the right decision:
- Consider the style of your home– Your shutters should complement the overall style of your home. For example, if you have a traditional or colonial-style home, you may want to consider traditional shutters. If you have a more modern home, you may prefer plantation shutters.
- Consider your budget– Shutters can be more expensive than other window treatments, so it’s essential to set a budget and stick to it. Remember that higher-priced shutters are often made from higher-quality materials and may last longer.
- Decide on how much light you want to let in– The size of the louvers on your shutters will determine how much light you let into your home. Consider the orientation of your windows and the amount of natural light you want in each room when choosing the size of your louvers.
- Think about location– If your shutters are installed in a location with direct sun exposure, such as a south-facing window, consider choosing shutters made from composite, vinyl, or polycore materials. These materials are less likely to warp or fade in direct sunlight.
- Select a shutter material that suits your needs– Shutters are available in various materials, including wood, composite, vinyl, and polycore. Each material has benefits and drawbacks, so choosing one that suits your needs is essential.
Look through the shutter options: Choose a frame style matching your home’s trim. Consider left-side or right-side hinge options, panel size, and configuration. You’ll also need to decide if you want an inside or outside mount for your shutters and if you prefer a split tilt or divider rail for tier-on-tier shutters. Taking the time to choose suitable options will ensure your new shutters look great and function properly.
Caring for and Maintaining Your Plantation Shutters
One of the benefits of plantation shutters is that they’re easy to care for and maintain. Here are a few tips for keeping them looking their best:
- Dust your shutters regularly with a soft, dry cloth or a vacuum with a soft brush attachment.
- If your shutters become dirty, wipe them down with a damp cloth and mild soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials.
- If your shutters are made from wood, avoid exposing them to high moisture levels, which can cause warping or cracking.
- If you have pets or young children, consider choosing shutters with hidden tilt control to prevent damage to the louvers and exposed tilt rods.
Choose the Best Shutters for Your Home Today!
Shutters are an excellent investment for homeowners looking to enhance their aesthetics, increase their value, and improve the energy efficiency of their homes. Various design options, materials, and styles can complement any decor and provide numerous benefits, such as privacy, light control, insulation, and durability. When choosing shutters, you must consider aesthetics, cost, material, and size to ensure you get the best shutters for your home. Also, proper care and maintenance are crucial to extending your shutters’ lifespan and keeping them looking new. Following the tips in this comprehensive guide, you can choose and maintain the best shutters for your home, creating a timeless and elegant look you can enjoy for years. Whether you’re looking for plantation shutters or another type of window treatment, New View Blinds and Shutters can help you find the perfect solution for your home.
Why Choose New View Blinds and Shutters for Your Shutters?
At New View Blinds and Shutters, we’re committed to providing our customers with the highest-quality shutters and exceptional service. We offer a wide range of shutter materials, styles, and colors, and our knowledgeable team can help you find the perfect shutters for your home.
We also offer professional installation services to ensure your shutters are installed correctly and function smoothly. And if you ever need assistance with your shutters down the line, we’re always here to help.
Don’t settle for subpar shutters – choose New View Blinds and Shutters for the best selection, service, and value. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!
Send us your measurements for a quick quote
Bring home the beauty of custom window coverings with a convenient on-site, no-pressure consultation from New View Blinds and Shutters. We will offer you low everyday honest pricing on a huge selection of shutters, shades, blinds, and more. Please use our decades of experience to find your perfect window coverings!
Read our articles
The Benefits of Composite Shutters: Durable, Affordable, and Stylish
If you’re looking for shutters for your windows, you may be wondering which type is best for you.
Do Plantation Shutters Add Value To My Home?
Plantation shutters are a popular home improvement option for a good reason. Not only do they offer aesthetic appeal and improve the functionality of your windows,
What Kind of Blinds or Shades Should I Get? A Short Guide
It’s crucial to consider your decision to purchase blinds or shades for your Colorado home carefully because it’s a big one.
Why Custom Plantation Shutters Are The Perfect Investment For Your New Home
Congratulations on finding your dream home! Now that you have the keys, it’s time to turn your house into a home that reflects your style and personality.
Hunter Douglas Silhouette Shades: Stylish Light Control for Your Home
Hunter Douglas Silhouette shades are a stylish and practical window treatment solution that can transform your home.
Are Plantation Shutters in Style?
Plantation shutters have been a popular window treatment for many years, showing no signs of falling out of style.
The Ultimate Guide to Buying Plantation Shutters
This comprehensive guide will outline 15 crucial factors to consider before buying plantation shutters.
Do Hunter Douglas Blinds Help You Sleep Better?
Our bodies and minds work best when we receive a decent night’s sleep, which also gives us the energy we need to make the most of each day.
Window Coverings: A Comprehensive Guide
Window coverings are more than just a decorative element in a home.
Interior Shutters: A Comprehensive Guide for Homeowners
Interior shutters are popular for homeowners looking to upgrade their windows and improve their home’s insulation and aesthetic appeal.
How Window Treatments Improve Health and Well-being in Your Home
One of the most crucial factors in selecting window treatments is maximizing natural light. Bright, well-lit spaces not only have numerous aesthetic advantages, but they also have significant health advantages.
Plantation Shutters vs. Window Blinds: Which is the Best Option for Your Home?
When it comes to plantation shutters vs. window blinds, they are both popular choices.
Plantation Shutters 101: Everything You Need to Know
Plantation shutters have been a popular choice for window coverings for centuries.
Blinds can change your home in these 10 ways
The perfect window coverings can completely change a Colorado home, but it’s not just about looks.
The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Best Shutters for Windows in Colorado
When it comes to window coverings, shutters are a timeless and elegant option that can enhance the appearance and energy efficiency of any home.
Hunter Douglas Duette Honeycomb Shades: The Practical Window Shade for Colorado Homes
Hunter Douglas Duette Honeycomb shades are the practical window treatment solution for Colorado homes
Hunter Douglas Luminette Privacy Sheers: Perfect for your Colorado Homes Sliding Glass Doors
Hunter Douglas Luminette is the perfect window treatment solution for your Colorado home’s sliding glass doors.
The Benefits of Plantation Shutters: A Guide for Colorado Homeowners
Plantation shutters, also known as window shutters, are a classic and timeless window treatment option that can add both style and functionality to any home.
Window Coverings for Sliding Glass Doors: A Comprehensive Guide
Are you struggling to find the perfect window coverings for your sliding glass doors?
Window Treatments Colorado Springs: Everything You Need to Know
Are you looking for the perfect window treatments for your Colorado Springs home?
How Hunter Douglas Shutters Can Enhance Your Colorado Home: A Comprehensive Guide
Hunter Douglas shutters are a premium window treatment option that can add both style and function to your Colorado home.
Federal Tax Credit For Hunter Douglas Duette® Honeycomb Shades: Beauty, Energy-Efficiency, and Incredible Savings
Look no further than Hunter Douglas Duette® Honeycomb Shades, which offer beauty, energy efficiency, and incredible savings.
Hunter Douglas Silhouettes: The Ultimate Window Covering Solution for Colorado Homes
Are you looking for a window covering solution that offers both style and function? Look no further than Hunter Douglas Silhouettes.
5 Reasons to Invest in Plantation Shutters for Your Colorado Springs Home
Plantation shutters are a classic, timeless window covering option that perfectly fits Colorado Springs homes.
Transform Your Home with Custom Window Shutters: A Complete Guide
Custom shutters have the power to change the look and feel of your home, giving it a more sophisticated, elegant, and refined appearance.
Window Blinds for Every Room: Find the Best in Colorado Springs
Are you tired of the same old curtains and window shades?
Carol & David A. Highlands Ranch, CO 80126 Review
We really like our new blinds. They look beautiful in our new home.
Lauri & Jeff M. Monument, CO 80132 Review
Thank you so much for the gift card to Walmart! Thank you for making our home look beautiful! We love our blinds & shutters!
Maureen B. Colorado Springs, Colorado 80906 Review
Thank you very much for your great service. We love the blinds! Everything looks great.
Audra and Brian B. Parker CO 80134 Review
We want to thank you very much for such a smooth and easy experience in the purchase and installation of our new shutters.
Lynn S. Monument, CO 80132 Review
We’re really enjoying the new blinds, and I think the house stays a lot warmer with honeycomb blinds on the windows.
M. Thomas Colorado Springs, CO 80908 Review
Ray and Leah Bork, owners of New View Blinds and Shutters, provide terrific service.
Bridget & Paul M. Colorado Springs, Colorado 80908 Review
This strong family owned business offers the personal touch that customer service at most businesses lack today .
Sara S. Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Review
Love my new blinds! I’ve already given your name and number to 2 people!
Lauri & Jeff M, Monument, CO 80132 Review
Thank you so much for the gift card to Walmart! Thank you for making our home look beautiful! We love our blinds & shutters!