The Benefits of Plantation Shutters: A Guide for Colorado Homeowners
Plantation shutters are an elegant and functional window treatment that has been popular for centuries. In Colorado, they are particularly appealing due to their ability to regulate temperature and light and their aesthetic appeal. In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know about plantation shutters in Colorado, from their benefits to the types available, how to choose the right ones, and how to maintain them.
Benefits of Plantation Shutters in Colorado
One of the most significant advantages of plantation shutters is their energy efficiency. Closing the louvers help regulate temperature and reduce energy consumption. They also offer excellent light control, making them a great option for bedrooms or other rooms requiring darkness. They also provide complete privacy and increase the overall value of your home.
Plantation shutters are also known for their durability and low maintenance. They are designed to withstand extreme weather conditions, including the harsh Colorado winters. With regular cleaning, they can last for many years.
Improving Energy Efficiency with Plantation Shutters
Another significant benefit of plantation shutters is their energy efficiency. They provide insulation to windows, keeping your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. This can help to reduce your energy bills and make your Colorado home more comfortable year-round.
Here’s a window covering R-Value chart (click to enlarge):
Types of Plantation Shutters
Plantation shutters come in various materials, styles, and sizes to fit any home. Some of the most popular types of plantation shutters include:
- Composite shutters are made of a combination of wood and vinyl. They offer the durability and strength of wood with the low maintenance and affordability of vinyl. Hunter Douglas NewStyle Hybrid Shutters are a famous example of composite shutters.
- Vinyl shutters are made of 100% vinyl. They are affordable and easy to maintain but may not be as durable as wood or composite shutters. Hunter Douglas Palm Beach Shutters is a famous example of vinyl shutters.
- Wood shutters are natural wood, such as basswood or knotty alder. They are durable and attractive but require more maintenance than vinyl or composite shutters. Basswood shutters are a popular choice for plantation shutters. Knotty alder shutters are another popular choice for plantation shutters.
- PolyCore shutters are made of a composite material that is similar to vinyl, but it is more robust and more durable. They are also more expensive than vinyl shutters but have a more natural look.
When choosing plantation shutters, it is essential to consider the climate you live in, your home type, and your budget. If you live in an area with extreme sun, you may want to choose shutters made of more durable material, such as PolyCore or composite shutters. You may choose wood or knotty alder shutters if you have a home with stained or knotty alder trim. And if you are on a tight budget, you may want to choose vinyl shutters.
Design Options for Customizing Your Plantation Shutters
Plantation shutters come in various design options, making finding the perfect style to match your decor easy. They come in multiple colors and finishes, including white, off-white, and wood tones. They can be customized to fit any window size and shape and ordered with different louver sizes and tilt rod options.
Colors for Plantation Shutters:
Plantation shutters are available in various colors, from traditional whites and neutrals to bold and bright hues. Most shutters will be made to match the color of your existing trim. Consider what color will complement your decor and personal style the best.
Specialty-Shaped Plantation Shutters:
These plantation shutters are custom-made to fit windows that have unusual shapes or sizes, such as arched or angled windows.
Louver Sizes for Plantation Shutters:
• 2½” louvers are ideal for smaller windows.
• 3½” louvers are the most common and the most popular louver size.
• 4½” louvers provide a more expansive view
Tilt Rod Options for Plantation Shutters:
Plantation shutters can have a front or rear/hidden tilt rod. Generally, a traditional home has a front tilt, while a modern home has a hidden tilt. Front tilt shutters have a visible rod that adjusts the louvers’ position, whereas hidden tilt shutters have a concealed mechanism.
Choosing the Right Plantation Shutters for Your Colorado Home
When selecting plantation shutters for your home, it’s essential to consider several factors. These include your budget, room functionality and design, window measurements and shape, color and finish matching, and installation and warranty. Make sure to work with a reputable supplier that can help you make the right choice.
Caring for and Maintaining Your Plantation Shutters
Regular cleaning is essential for maintaining your plantation shutters. It’s best to dust them regularly and use a damp cloth for deep cleaning. Avoid using harsh chemicals that can damage the surface. Maintaining and replacing the hardware is essential to ensure smooth operation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Plantation Shutters in Colorado
- What are the advantages of plantation shutters compared to other window treatments? Plantation shutters offer several advantages, including energy efficiency, light and privacy control, durability, and aesthetics. They also increase the overall value of your home.
- Can I install plantation shutters myself, or do I need a professional? While it’s possible to install plantation shutters yourself, working with a professional is recommended for the best results.
- How long do plantation shutters last? With proper maintenance and care, plantation shutters can last for many years. Most have lifetime warranties. Remember, there are no cords to break.
- Are plantation shutters suitable for all types of windows? Plantation shutters can be customized to fit any window shape or size.
- What is the difference between natural wood and faux wood plantation shutters? Real wood plantation shutters (such as basswood and alder) offer a more natural look and are available in stain colors. Faux wood shutters (such as composite, vinyl, and polycore) are mostly only in shades of white, are more affordable, and can withstand high humidity and intense sun.
- Do plantation shutters add value to my home? Yes, plantation shutters increase the overall value of your home. Plantation shutters are the only window covering considered a permanent home improvement.
Working with a Professional Colorado Shutter Company
Overall, plantation shutters are an excellent investment for any home. They are durable, energy-efficient, and have various design options that match any decor. If you’re looking for a timeless window treatment option that can add style and functionality to your home, consider plantation shutters.
If you’re considering adding plantation shutters to your home, consider working with a Colorado shutter company. New View Blinds and Shutters can help you choose the perfect shutters for your windows and provide expert installation services. Contact us today.
Send us your measurements for a quick quote
Bring home the beauty of custom window coverings with a convenient on-site, no-pressure consultation from New View Blinds and Shutters. We will offer you low everyday honest pricing on a huge selection of shutters, shades, blinds, and more. Please use our decades of experience to find your perfect window coverings!
Read our articles
The Benefits of Composite Shutters: Durable, Affordable, and Stylish
If you’re looking for shutters for your windows, you may be wondering which type is best for you.
Do Plantation Shutters Add Value To My Home?
Plantation shutters are a popular home improvement option for a good reason. Not only do they offer aesthetic appeal and improve the functionality of your windows,
What Kind of Blinds or Shades Should I Get? A Short Guide
It’s crucial to consider your decision to purchase blinds or shades for your Colorado home carefully because it’s a big one.
Why Custom Plantation Shutters Are The Perfect Investment For Your New Home
Congratulations on finding your dream home! Now that you have the keys, it’s time to turn your house into a home that reflects your style and personality.
Hunter Douglas Silhouette Shades: Stylish Light Control for Your Home
Hunter Douglas Silhouette shades are a stylish and practical window treatment solution that can transform your home.
Are Plantation Shutters in Style?
Plantation shutters have been a popular window treatment for many years, showing no signs of falling out of style.
The Ultimate Guide to Buying Plantation Shutters
This comprehensive guide will outline 15 crucial factors to consider before buying plantation shutters.
Do Hunter Douglas Blinds Help You Sleep Better?
Our bodies and minds work best when we receive a decent night’s sleep, which also gives us the energy we need to make the most of each day.
Window Coverings: A Comprehensive Guide
Window coverings are more than just a decorative element in a home.
Interior Shutters: A Comprehensive Guide for Homeowners
Interior shutters are popular for homeowners looking to upgrade their windows and improve their home’s insulation and aesthetic appeal.
How Window Treatments Improve Health and Well-being in Your Home
One of the most crucial factors in selecting window treatments is maximizing natural light. Bright, well-lit spaces not only have numerous aesthetic advantages, but they also have significant health advantages.
Plantation Shutters vs. Window Blinds: Which is the Best Option for Your Home?
When it comes to plantation shutters vs. window blinds, they are both popular choices.
Plantation Shutters 101: Everything You Need to Know
Plantation shutters have been a popular choice for window coverings for centuries.
Blinds can change your home in these 10 ways
The perfect window coverings can completely change a Colorado home, but it’s not just about looks.
The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Best Shutters for Windows in Colorado
When it comes to window coverings, shutters are a timeless and elegant option that can enhance the appearance and energy efficiency of any home.
Hunter Douglas Duette Honeycomb Shades: The Practical Window Shade for Colorado Homes
Hunter Douglas Duette Honeycomb shades are the practical window treatment solution for Colorado homes
Shutters: A Comprehensive Guide
As you look for ways to enhance your home’s appearance and functionality, shutters may come to mind.
Hunter Douglas Luminette Privacy Sheers: Perfect for your Colorado Homes Sliding Glass Doors
Hunter Douglas Luminette is the perfect window treatment solution for your Colorado home’s sliding glass doors.
Window Coverings for Sliding Glass Doors: A Comprehensive Guide
Are you struggling to find the perfect window coverings for your sliding glass doors?
Window Treatments Colorado Springs: Everything You Need to Know
Are you looking for the perfect window treatments for your Colorado Springs home?
How Hunter Douglas Shutters Can Enhance Your Colorado Home: A Comprehensive Guide
Hunter Douglas shutters are a premium window treatment option that can add both style and function to your Colorado home.
Federal Tax Credit For Hunter Douglas Duette® Honeycomb Shades: Beauty, Energy-Efficiency, and Incredible Savings
Look no further than Hunter Douglas Duette® Honeycomb Shades, which offer beauty, energy efficiency, and incredible savings.
Hunter Douglas Silhouettes: The Ultimate Window Covering Solution for Colorado Homes
Are you looking for a window covering solution that offers both style and function? Look no further than Hunter Douglas Silhouettes.
5 Reasons to Invest in Plantation Shutters for Your Colorado Springs Home
Plantation shutters are a classic, timeless window covering option that perfectly fits Colorado Springs homes.
Transform Your Home with Custom Window Shutters: A Complete Guide
Custom shutters have the power to change the look and feel of your home, giving it a more sophisticated, elegant, and refined appearance.
Window Blinds for Every Room: Find the Best in Colorado Springs
Are you tired of the same old curtains and window shades?